Tuesday, August 24, 2010

The Best of the Brine

Below are the lyrics to the song "Wonderful Tonight" by Eric Clapton. It's a beautiful song, and I decided to write down my take on it. The short story follows the lyrics.

It's late in the evening
She's wondering what clothes to wear
She puts on her make up
And brushes her long blonde hair
And then she asks me
Do I look alright
And I say yes, you look wonderful tonight
We go to party
And everyone turns to see
This beautiful lady
That's walking around with me
And then she asks me
Do you feel alright
And I say yes, I feel wonderful tonight
I feel wonderful
Because I see the love light in your eyes
And the wonder of it all
Is that you just don't realize
How much I love you
It's time to go home now
And I've got an aching head
So I give her the car keys
She helps me to bed
And then I tell her
As I turn out the light
I say my darling, you were wonderful tonight
Oh my darling, you were wonderful tonight.

-Eric Clapton


"Tonight"

The last of the light has disappeared from the sky, telling me that we will be late. But that's alright, because I am in no rush to be anywhere that is not with you. I watch from the hallway as you enter and exit the closet, throwing different variations of the same outfit onto the bed. This is one of my favorite things you do. Thank you for doing it tonight.

I settle on the bed and watch you flick on the light to your make up mirror. The light is bright and you blink back a tear. With eyes closed, I imagine catching that tear on my the tip of my finger and wiping it from your cheek. When I open my eyes again, your sleek black brush is combing through your long blonde hair. Its those simple everyday motions I have come to adore about you, and it feels like I could watch you getting ready for hours without being tired of it.

You turn your chin so that I see your profile against the harsh light of the mirror. I watch your lips move gracefully and you ask, "How do I look?"

And you know what I'm going to say, just as you always do.

You giggle, biting your bottom lip. "We should leave now."



So we do, and we go to a friend's anniversary party. I hold your hand as we walk through the doors. Your fingers wrap around mine in a way that says, I'm with you. The moment we are through the doors, the music dies down poetically and everyone turns toward us. I know that they are staring at you, because you chose the right outfit as you always do.

The music starts up again and we walk to the dance floor after saying hello to a few friends. Your hair catches the light, making it golden and my heart ache. As if you can tell there is some fluctuation within me, you turn.

"Are you alright?"

But, as with every time before, you know what I will say.

As we dance through the night, I see something different in your eyes. It's a light that is fading, but brilliant at the same time. I lean over to your ear.

"You will never know how much I love you," I whisper.

When I have had too much wine, my head aches, and the light is just peaking over the horizon, we know it is time to go home. You slip your hand into my pocket and take out the car keys. On the drive home, we are silent as we watch the sun rise. It is beautiful and sad.

Walking up the stairs to our bedroom, my hand finds it place on your waist. I give a short squeeze as you help me into bed. Somewhere in the back of my mind, I know our roles should be reversed, and I wish to God that they could be.

You climb in next to me, placing your cold feet next to mine. I reach over to the light switch, resting my shaking finger against the unfeeling plastic.

With the last of the light in the room, I look down at you and say what I have always said before, but will never be able to say to you again.

"My darling, you were wonderful tonight."

I pray for more time, for more nights like tonight. But we've had so many wonderful ones already, it seems selfish to ask for more. So when I hear your last breath, I try to test the words without you here.

And I find that I can say them, but they no longer mean the same thing.

"You were wonderful tonight."

No comments:

Post a Comment