Friday, November 27, 2009

Thanksgiving, Black Friday, and The Christmas Season

So today is the most hallowed day of the year for bargain shoppers, thrifty individuals, and generally anyone who has a death wish. That’s right, it’s black Friday. A day that I usually spent holed up indoors because I fear for my safety in any semi-public place. And the ironic thing is that I love a good deal. I rarely buy anything full price (Except makeup) and suffer from anxiety if I pick anything up that is NOT marked down. So much so that by the time I reach the checkout counter, I put the stupid item back because I have so much guilt about dropping that much cash on something I can buy on sale in three weeks (If a) I remember and b) it’s still in stock). But I find black Friday so stupendously intimidating I rarely even venture out my front door. If I do, it is usually to eat, and during non peak times. Like, 3pm. Seriously, I really don’t like crowds.

The one thing that Black Friday has going for it, is that all the Christmas sales have earned their title. It is, after all, *after* Thanksgiving and technically part of the holiday season. You know what *doesn’t* qualify as the holiday season? September 22nd. Which happens to be the first day of autumn and also the day that Macy’s thought it was a good idea to put up their Christmas decorations (I can add this to the ever growing list of why Field’s was better than Macy’s. All you Chicagoans know what I mean when I say this). I am sorry, September is NOT part of the Christmas season. It’s not even part of the Thanksgiving season. Hell, it only barely squeezes into normal Halloween preparation time. This is getting ridiculous. Soon they are gonna have Santa’s on sale in July.

And I like Christmas! I am listening to Josh Groban’s Noel as I write this. Because it is after Thanksgiving and therefore socially acceptable to listen to carols now (Note: this is not okay in months where some of or all of the days of that month days are still considered summer, Macy’s). But something exists that is called too much of a good thing. Like egg nog for instance (which went on sale at Schnucks the day after Halloween. ::rolls eyes:: ). It is a seasonal drink. Meaning egg nog is great Christmas through New Years. The end. I cannot imagine drinking the stuff in say, June. I mean, ew. But this concept can apply to all things holiday related! I don’t want to be seeing snowflakes plastered on windows when I am still in denial about it getting cold in the first place. By the time it actually snows, I’m gonna be sick of the stupid stuff already. Just like if I hear Christmas carols starting in October, by the time December rolls around I’m going to want to sock any wayward caroler in the face. And it is so not the caroler’s fault that I want to gouge out my ear drums every time I hear jingle bells because it has been playing at Schnucks since before Halloween. The caroler does not deserve to be punched.

…Okay, confession. Despite all this ranting, I am really excited for the next month (which, now that I mention it is totally enough time to devote towards one holiday. We hardly need three, Macy’s ). I love the candles I can now start to burn. I love the tiny tree I get to put up in my apartment (with a lovely skirt that is actually a skirt. Like, that I wear), I love the holiday book donation at Barnes and Noble. I love buying Christmas presents (just not on black Friday) and I love getting Christmas presents. And I love Thanksgiving because it designates the time where I can actually start thinking about these things without feeling like I am severely jumping the gun.

And, in the spirit of Thanksgiving I thought this was worth mentioning: It saddens me that we only have one day a year where we are meant to express gratitude. I feel like setting aside one specific day a year for thanks is sending the message that we can ignore it the rest of the year. But it is/was Thanksgiving, and I am thankful for much. I am thankful for my new computer, and awesome tv shows (Even when they kill my favorite characters). I am thankful for good movies, and also bad movies, because sometimes the bad movies are the ones that are the most fun to watch. I am thankful for the sun, and for the clouds for without the clouds we wouldn’t know how special the sun is. I am thankful for French fries, coke products, and also peanut butter. I am thankful for my health, and the health of those around me. Paramount to all of this, I am thankful for my friends and family. You are all what make this crazy journey amount to anything, and I am thankful today, tomorrow, and every day of the year that you are in my life.

aha!

No comments:

Post a Comment